From 1920 to present: Azerbaijani atrocities in Shushi
The Church of the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots in 1911 looked like this
The construction of the cathedral began in 1868 and was completed in 1887. There were many lithographic inscriptions on the walls of the church, one of which stated that the architect of the cathedral was Simeon Ter-Hakobyants. Ancient manuscripts and gilded guardian angels were kept here. It was the huge embodiment of 19th-century Armenian culture.
After the Azerbaijani barbarities in 1972, the church looked like this
In the 1940s, the cathedral was used as a storehouse, then in the 1950s, the church dome was demolished and the church stones were dismantled. In the 1970s, Azerbaijani barbarism reached its peak. In the territory of the church and inside, car tires were burnt, various explosive materials were left, alongside various Azerbaijani inscriptions that were left on the walls.
After the liberation of Shushi, the church was renovated and the destroyed dome was restored in 1998.
On October 8, 2020, the church was shelled by the Azerbaijani Air Force during the Second Artsakh War, which damaged the church dome. After the war, after the Ghazanchetsots Church of the Holy Savior in Shushi came under Azeri control, the Azeris continued to desecrate it.
The massacre of Armenians in Shushi in the 1920s and its aftermath
The ruins of the Verin-Tagh district of Shushi from the southeast
In the first half of the 1920s, an unknown author photographed the ruins of the Armenian districts of Shushi. Levon Mirzoyan, who was born in Karabakh, knowing that Azerbaijan did not intend to implement the decision to restore the city of Shushi, organized the shooting of the ruins of the city. The photographs were saved and brought to Yerevan by Nina Abgarovna Mangasarovna, who was from Shushi, an employee of the library of the Baku branch of the Marxism-Leninism Institute.
The ruins of Aguletsots Saint Astvatsatsin Church in Shushi
Before the construction of Saint Ghazanchetsots Church, Aguletsots Church was the largest church in Shushi and was considered the Main Cathedral. It was destroyed in March 1920. In the 1960s, the Azeris demolished the church and built a school.
This was the memory of Marietta Shahinyan, a writer from Shushi
“In March 1920, 7000 houses were destroyed and burned here within three days. The numbers are different, some say 3-4 thousand Armenians were massacred, others - more than 12 thousand. The fact is that none of the 35,000 Armenians remained in Shushi,” Marietta Shahinyan wrote.
In a few photos, the Kanach Jam Church of Shushi stands out, which is visible from different parts of the city.
The church was also called Saint John the Baptist. It is also known as the Karabakhtsis Church. The name Kanach Jam is conditioned by the green dome of the church. Later, due to the Azerbaijani regime, the church was turned into a hall for mineral water. Then, after the end of the war in 2020, the Azerbaijanis completely demolished the domes of Kanach Jam.
The ruins of the Jraberdots district of Shushi are in the center, Kusanats Monastery.
This part of the city was called the Desert. It was one of the oldest cultural structures. The monastery was built in 1816. It was ruthlessly demolished in 1960-1970.